The curriculum is 27-months in length, and students are admitted annually in the fall semester. Applicants are reviewed on a non-discriminatory basis, regardless of age, race, creed, sex, sexual orientation, color, marital status, national origin, religion, disability, or any factor protected by law. No applicant shall be discriminated against or receive preferential treatment.
Applicants are selected by an Admission Committee, which utilizes the following guidelines for selection:
- Graduate from an appropriate baccalaureate program in nursing
- Minimum QPA of 3.0 (preferred)
- Verification of current professional licensure in the State of Ohio according to state law
- Minimum of one year experience in an adult critical care area; minimum of two years preferred
- Evidence of current provider status in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) (Must have official AHA logo and copyright insignia.)
- Three letters of recommendation: one from the director of their respective school of nursing, one from a current nurse manager, and one non-family, personal character reference
- Personal interview with completion of critical care quiz on site
- Evidence of post-graduate continuing education
- Qualify as a candidate for entry into (Youngstown State University) Graduate Nursing Program (see below)
- Meet requirements for Graduate Nursing Program of Youngstown State University that are published in the YSU Graduate Studies Bulletin.
- CCRN (preferred)
- Satisfactory score on GRE.
Each applicant is evaluated by the YSU Graduate Studies Department, Division of Nursing, and also the Administrator of the School of Anesthesia in order to determine the candidate’s likelihood for success in the graduate program.
Acceptance into Youngstown State University is contingent upon acceptance into the St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc.
The Admission Committee will notify the prospective students in writing as to their acceptance once selection has been made. A non-refundable retainer fee will be required from the applicant to hold the applicant’s position in the class.
Admission to St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc. DOES NOT guarantee graduation from the program. All program objectives and criteria must be met for advancement through the program at each semester conclusion and in order to graduate from the program. Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 in each didactic course and also a 3.0 or above in clinical performance.